I saw in the paper yesterday that some academy of people has put together a list of the most famous movie quotes of all time. The winner was “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn”. From Gone With The Wind.
Well, to quote my boys, “that’s gay”. When was the last time you were in a meeting, or talking to some one and you said that? I’m thinking it was uhhh Never.
But the thought of movie quotes did get me thinking a bit. So in some order here’s my list of the most influential movie quotes.
- From Animal House. When the boys are explaining to Flounder why it’s ok that they smashed up his brothers car. “Hey, you fucked up. You trusted us”. I’ve used that in work situations many times.
- Animal House, if you haven’t seen it in a while is so rich with quotes that I could populate the rest of the list with that movie alone. So for #2 I’ll list a bunch of them for ya.
– The guys in the Jewish house said all our answers on the test were wrong.
– Double Secret Probation.
– That’s funny, I have husband named Dean Werner who works at Faber.
– Hey, its Otis, he loves us
– Do you mind if we dance wit yo dates?
– And, could you find a couple of dates for my friends?
– They can’t do that to our pledges, only we can do that to our pledges.
– And last- Hi Guys, have you met Sydney, Mohammed and Gunga din?
- Another quote rich movie is of course, Caddy Shack. From that movie I have to go with Chevy Chase in with Bill Murray as Carl the Grounds Keeper, a supporting academy should have gone to Bill for that one. Anyway, the quote “People don’t think you’re stupid, that you know”.
– Also good of course was the late great Rodney Dangerfield,
– Hey, who stepped on a duck”.
– Now that’s why Tigers eat their young.
– Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you must’ve been something before electricity.
And of course, Carl- I like the line when they ask if he’s going to kill all the gophers-
– Correct me if I’m wrong, but if I kill all the golfers they’ll lock me up and throw away the key.
– The sensimilla/Kentucky Blue Grass cross was pretty funny to.
- High Noon- theres a scene in the hotel with the Mexican Lady and Gary Coopers new wife, Grace Kelley.
- Mexican Lady: don’t understand you. No matter what you say. If Kane was my man, I’d never leave him like this. I’d get a gun. I’d fight.
Grace Kelly: Why don’t you?
Mexican Lady: He is not my man. He’s yours.
- American Pie- Stifflers mom on seeing Finch in the basement. “I got some scotch, aged 18years, the way I like it. From the second one- Aren’t instruments fun? You have to see that one to get it.
- From Breaker Morant- The barbarities of war are seldom committed by abnormal men. The tragedy of war is that these horrors are committed by normal men in abnormal situations.
- Hannibal Lecter: I do wish we could chat longer, but I’m having an old friend for dinner.
- From O Brother Where Art Thou, when the one dude gets baptized-
Pete: The Preacher said it absolved us.
Clooney: For him, not for the law. I’m surprised at you, Pete, I gave you credit for more brains than Delmar.
Delmar: But they was witnesses that seen us redeemed.
Clooney: That’s not the issue Delmar. Even if that did put you square with the Lord, the State of Mississippi’s a little more hard-nosed.
Then when they pick up the Robert Johnson character with the guitar
The Guitar dude::I had to be up at that there crossroads last midnight, to sell my soul to the devil.
Clooney: Well, ain’t it a small world, spiritually speaking. Pete and Delmar just been baptized and saved. I guess I’m the only one that remains unaffiliated.
- Lastly, from the Revenge of the Pink Panther.
Clouseau: Does your dog bite?
Hotel Clerk: No.
Clouseau: [bowing down to pet the dog] Nice doggie.
[Dog barks and bites Clouseau in the hand]
Clouseau: I thought you said your dog did not bite!
Hotel Clerk: That is not my dog.